All of you, let me rephrase that almost all of you would like to address yourselves as ‘gentlemen’ but what does that word really stand for? We all paint a picture of young Leonardo Dicaprio in a well fitted suit talking sweet and opening doors for the ladies. Honestly, it’s so much more than just that. Here are some do’s and don’ts to check off your list of a real gentleman. Do you think you are one? Let’s find out.
- Pay attention to detail. The width of your blazer and how it fits on your shoulders is important. The uniformity of folds on both your sleeves is important. The lining on your shirt is important. Accessorizing is important. Matching your shoes to your belt is important.
- Make an effort. Try new fashion trends or a new hobby. Adapt to situations and changes. Be fluid and go with the flow. Remember how you dress only makes the first impression but that has to be followed by a second,third and so on.
- Choose quality over quantity. This does not necessarily mean getting stuff off the runway. It simply means investing in limited number of good products that will last you a longer period of time over a lot of cheaper products that will be worn out soon.
- Polish your shoes. Yes we notice your formal shoes! A polished man never claims to be one, instead lets his shoes do the talking for him. Unless they’re from Golden Goose Deluxe Brand. Then you are forgiven (and loved).
- Have a personal sense of style. You don’t have to be a Barney Stinson and suit up all the time. However, you have to project yourself and your personality in your clothing and just own the look like it was made for you.
- Hold the doors. Goes without saying! Perhaps you are not young Leo but an act of chivalry goes a long way and is a signature of a real gentleman.
- Show off. Biggest turn off. Nobody really cares about the brands you wear or the cars you drive unless they ask you about it. So keep the unnecessary information and just take it a notch down. Humility is a trait of every gentleman.
- Be loud and obnoxious. Whether it is the way you dress or the way you speak, the key is sophistication. Let your actions do the talking and don’t try too hard to be noticed.
- Stick to the status quo. Stand out, be opinionated and revolutionary. Go through a makeover every once in a while and give your wardrobe too. Be a breath of fresh air in the way you look, dress and carry yourself.
- Let the figures define you. You might own the biggest international labels or custom made ensembles from designers across the globe but no limited edition merchandise can give you the confidence to carry off something that doesn’t define who you are. Don’t get blinded by the brand names because fashion is so much more than these names.
- Overlook the term personality. It is the most important characteristic and ultimately that’s all it comes down to. Be true to yourself and let your actions speak louder than words. Be courteous, classy and most importantly be yourself because when you shed other materialistic stuff, what remains of you still makes you a gentleman.
- Post generic quotes off the internet and be the absolute opposite in real life. Just NO.
How many do’s and don’ts have you checked off? Let us know in the comment section! Until next time.